Saturday, August 4, 2007

Why I don't tell people I am attorney

To start off, I have to say that I am proud to be an attorney.Having said that, I seldom tell people what I do for a living in a social setting. I am sure it is the same with doctors, tradesmen and the like, but every time someone finds out what I do for a living I get to hear all about what ever legal trouble that person may have and get hit up for free advice, OR I get to listen to tirades against attorneys and the law. Either way it kills a good mood.For the record, I do not go out to hear everyoneâs legal troubles and give free advice. NEW FLASH - I get paid to give advice, so why would I give it free to a stranger?! So please don't ask and please don't be offended when I give you my card and tell you call me for an appointment. I am out to have a good time and forget about my day, not to drum up business.The other side is the almost constant criticism of what the legal profession. I will freely admit there are problems and it can be nasty, but guess what - not once has a client ever told me "I don't care if I win and don't want to do whatever it takes. Just let them have it allâ I am normally asked to do whatever I can to win and get the most from the other side. I have had clients ask me to serve their spouses with divorce on Christmas morning, thanksgiving, their birthday, wedding anniversary etc. I have yet to do any of that. I do fight hard, and I can be very mean and difficult and even nasty in a trial, but it is what my clients want me to do.For those of you who believe in "tort reform" because the greedy trial lawyers are getting rich and doctors can't afford insurance and companies are going broke I say F*** you. Thatâs right f*** you; you have no idea what you are talking about. Come talk to me when your daughter gets killed by a doctor gives her the wrong medication or cuts off your good leg my mistake, the insurance companies have convinced the state to cap damages at $250,000.00.In all of the states that have passed damage caps, no insurance premiums for doctors have gone down - just the opposite. The dirty secret is that insurance companies make money. period.

No comments: