Thursday, August 2, 2007

For law students and wannbes

If you want to practice in Mississippi and are at Ole Miss, you need to take Mississippi Civil Practice taught by Guth Abbott. It is offered once a year at 8 AM, but you need to get your lazy ass out of bed and take it. If you don’t you will behind the eight ball for years once you get out.
For you geeks and law journal dweebs - in the real world "blue booking" is not that big a deal. The real issue knowing what the law is and how it applies to the facts, not how to properly punctuate the abbreviations for some obscure legal journal article written by an academic. The Judge doesn’t give a shit but I am sure looks pretty.
If you decide to litigate - learn the damn rules of court - local rules, civil/criminal procedure and rules of evidence. I guarantee I know them and will beat you up all day long with them if you don't. Remember an attorney who knows the rules will be able to beat one who doesn't regardless of the evidence. The court never will hear your evidence if you can’t properly present it and I will object to every thing you do that is in violation of the rules.
Lastly, know who you are interviewing with. If you want to work in a corporate law firm don’t interview with a litigation firm, or vice versa. We expect our associates to be ready, willing and able to get into a court room. BTW for you corporate wannabe types – your big firm will probably hire me to actually try the case because your client will want someone who knows the judges and juries.
As far as the idea that corporate lawyers make all the money, I assure you I make a decadent amount of money.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hi--thanks for the advice on Ole Miss Law; I will take that class. I'm headed there next fall when I get back from Iraq.