Thursday, August 9, 2007

Small town law

One of the things I like about practicing law in this area is the small town feel. Now don't get me wrong, this is considered a large city by this states standards, and this is a county with an exploding population, but it still has a small town feel.

I like the fact most of the counties I go to in my circuit have a courthouse square with the old quaint courthouses. In some places in the summer that can be bad - at least two that I can think of only have window unit acs so it gets very hot. But mostly it is something out of To Kill a Mocking Bird or a John Grisham novel - which is to be expected I guess since John set almost all of his novels in this county but under a different name.

I love the smell of the flowers and tree blooms in the spring as I walk over to the courthouse, I like that almost all of the attorneys knew each other by name. I like that with very few exceptions we all get along outside of court. I have worked in a big city and have tried immigration cases all over the US so I do have things to compare this to and I would much rather do what I am doing than working in the glass tower high above the city like I used to.

No comments: