Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Holy Crap

This week continues to court streak. On Monday I was in court until 6:30pm. I was able to turn the TRO into a custody order pending trial. By the time my clients got home "someone" had trown a cider block through their front bay window, poisioned the two dog and poured clorox everywhere.

In another case from Monday I was assualted by my clients brother in court. He almost got tasered. That case along with one other got moved to Wednesday due to the heavy case load on Monday. The Judge was there hearing cases until 10 pm.

After I got back to my office Tuesday I talked to witnesses in this case and discovered my client was doing something very very illegal with regards to the witnesses. So I did what any good attorney would do, I file a motion to be released from the case without telling the judge why i want off. (I can't - attorney client privilege prevents me even though she is breaking the law) Today was that motion hearing. I was allowed to get off the case, the brother acted like a jack ass and he did get tasered. The Judge was not in a good mood.

The case just prior to tasor boy ended the worst possible way. Two other attorneys were arguing a TRO/Custody Order. The husband was present but the wife was not. There was talk about concern for childs safety and wifes mental state. All of this is pretty common in family law. Some times I think we forget how serious this stuff can be. The hearing gets interrupted by an emergency phone call for the wifes attorney, who is a young guy with maybe two years experiance. I am where I can see him and know exactly what the call is from his reaction. He walks back into court looking sick and shell shocked. He blunty announces that his client has just shot herself in the parking lot of his office. This is how the husband hears his wife is dead and his children lost thier mother forever. I think every attorney was stunned, most even cried. I did and I did not even know the lady. Just the shear shock of it. The Judge had to leave the bench to cry. Court restarts 2 hours later when taser boy acts up - zap.

Then I had the great joy of arguing another TRO/Custody order pending trial. We wrapped up at 230pm. A TRO was in place forbiding ANY contact between the husband and wife. The kids are 17, 18 and 20 so no true custody order - the kids can do what they want. (in this state the age of maority is 21 and child support goes to 21). At 315 I get a call from the sherrifs office. the husband kicked in the front door, stomped the hell out of his 18 year old daughter becuase she would not tell him were my client was. She pulls up and he rams her car and flees.

I am now at home, skipped gym with my little girl who turns 5 tomorrow. She is safely in the bedroom watcing fosters home for imaginary friends. I will settle in to read the new John Grisham novel, but first I will get down my old service weapon, a compact .40, reload it and will be packing heat again for a while - three nut jobs on the loose. Great job huh?