Sunday, November 25, 2007

Why it is a bad idea to like your clients

On Tuesday I have to head to court on a case that has a tortured past. I have reprsented this man for at least three years in a fight to get simple visitation rights. It has been a rollercoaster of lies and deceit. Finally this past summer he got court ordered visitation after a total of 15 years and three attorneys. His ex was very very pissed.

Flashforward - the ex has told the child my client is not dad, that another man is. She even has a brand spanking new DNA test she had done to prove it.

At this point the DNA test is worthless, except for the pain it has caused. On Tueday we are asking the ex be put in jail for interfering with the natural parental relationship and refusing visits. See even IF the test is real, my client is legally the father and will be until a court says otherwise.

Now as to the test, the ex sent somebodies samples off to be tested. The question is whose samples?

Further, my client has to decide if he wants to agree to a real DNA test or to fight the whole thing. This is not a question I can answer, only he can.

Makes for a long Thanksgiving in this house and I am sure in his as well.