Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I love MySpace

Since I have discovered MySpace it has made my life so much easier and enjoyable. I do not lie about things like this.

In my world everyone gets their ideas from TV. All lawyers use private investigators to get the goods on the other side. Ever notice how the P.I. fees and expenses are never mentioned? That is because it is very very expensive and often turns up very little information.
Enter MySpace. It amazes me what people will put on their pages, the "comment" conversations, photographs and blogs. MySpace is my first stop when I am checking out the other side or even my own client. Then I fall back to the other methods I have learned and developed.

And it is easy to find people as well - the people who set up a MySpace page under a "clever" screen name, but forgot that they used their real name in the "names" section or their normal email as the email address when they signed up. Duh.

Some examples of what I mean include:

1. The cheating spouse who proceeds to tell the world about this fresh wonderful relationship they are in, complete with pictures. It makes my job so easy. Oh and a news flash to all of you cheaters - under this states divorce law I DO NOT have to have photos of you having sex to prove adultery - your MySpace page is enough.

2. The bad parent who has all kinds of drug alcohol photos and references. Gotta love them. My favorite is the clearly underage mom who has her dirty diapered kid in one hand and a bottle of vodka in the other. The next picture on her page is of her with a bong.

3. I am in so much pain I can’t move after that accident dude who has photos of himself playing basketball was a winner. Thank you.

The list goes on and on, but you get the jest of it.
And If I find out things about my client you can damn sure bet I make them take it down ASAP (the vodka girl was my client BTW).

So besides the social networking skills, tons of money filling out surveys and hot toothless chicks I met on MySpace it really is a work tool. Or at least that I what I tell Billbert.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Which is why I've always been very, very careful about what I say on my blog. It doesn't have my full name anywhere on it, but it's no secret who it belongs to...nothing incriminating or objectionable anywhere on it. Maybe a stray opinion or two, but nothing I wouldn't say in front of a large crowd. There are dozens of posts a week I'd love to write, plenty of pictures...but I don't, for this very reason. Potential employers search MySpace and DQ people all the time. People get fired over blogs and MySpace content. How does anyone still labor under the illusion that crap you post on the internet is public and easy to find??? And anyone involved in a legal dispute who posts that crap must be completely delusional.

Kristen said...

I meant, "ISN'T public and easy to find..."

RB said...

The intake sheet should have a spot for all of client's email addresses and all known email addresses and screen names for spouse.