Monday, October 8, 2007

Back to work

Today I sit at my desk thinking about working. It is not much fun, but I can't think of an excuse to leave. Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of excuses to leave the office early. the most common one is I am going to the federal building to review my clients immigration files. No today I cant use an excuse because 1) I have a 4:30 appointment and 2) I used one Thursday so I could get a jump on my New Orleans trip.

I love New Orleans and have missed her greatly. Prior to Katrina I went on a regular basis - even considered moving there after law school to work for the MAN. Or a Big law firm. It did not happen, but my love affair with the city did not die. I love the music, the food, Dixie beer and the general feel for how life moves there. The varied styles of jazz and blues drifting over the streets create an atmosphere like no other.

I honestly could never set foot on Bourbon street again and be happy but yet I am drawn there to people watch as much as anything else. Having said that I recently found Maison Bourbon - a true jazz club on Bourbon. I guess all these years I just walked past it thinking it was another Fat Catz or Cats Meow. I was wrong. If you like Jazz don't make the same mistake.

I was glad to see that the parts of the city I spent time in are coming back. There are still signs of the damage around and many parts of the city may never recover. As you get away from the Quarter for every two shops that were open, there was one boarded up.

Many of the restaurants are open with at least partial menus. If you want to wait tables, tend bar or just work "help wanted" signs abound. I was tempted to just throw in the towel and get to cracking open bottles of Abita and Dixie for the tourists and locals alike, but I am too chicken to start over again.

I can't wait to go back. Until then Beale St. and Clarksdale will have to do.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Other spots you should visit for the best music in town...and they're all still going strong, and not in the 1/4:

Maple Leaf Bar (Oak Street, Riverbend area), esp. on Tuesday night for ReBirth Brass Band. Do yourself a favor and go absurdly early so you can eat at Jacque-Imo's next door. Expect to wait...the word is out.

LeBonTemps (Magazine Street, Uptown)--Friday afternoon 10 cent oysters and a band, usually sousafunk. Oh yes. Live music every night with floor to ceiling windows that open onto the street. Great when it rains.

Vaughn's...Marigny, sort of the ghetto. Thursday night is red beans and rice with Kermit Ruffins and the BBQ Swingers.

The Funky Butt...not sort of the ghetto, it IS the ghetto. But it's truly a must-see, especially if Los Hombres Calientes are playing.

I didn't have a chance to check out all my other favorite haunts last time I was there, but I really hope the Mermaid Lounge and Joe's Cozy Corner Bar are still open. R.I.P. Snake and Jake's with Naked Night--all naked people drank free. It's no coincidence that it was very, very dark in there.